Secretaries and administrative assistants perform routine clerical and administrative duties. They organize files, draft messages, schedule appointments, and support other staff.Add to Favourites Compare with other careers
Secretaries and administrative assistants perform a variety of clerical and administrative duties that are necessary to run an organization efficiently. They use computer software to create spreadsheets, manage databases, and prepare presentations, reports, and documents
Secretaries and administrative assistants typically do the following:
1. Answer telephones and take messages or transfer calls
2. Schedule appointments and update event calendars
3. Arrange staff meetings
4. Handle incoming and outgoing mail and faxes
5. Draft routine memos, billing, or other reports
6. Edit company correspondence and ensure document accuracy
7. Maintain databases and filing systems, whether electronic or paper
8. Perform basic bookkeeping
1. Integrity. Secretaries may have access to sensitive or private information that they must keep confidential. For example, medical secretaries collect patient data that are required, by law, to be kept confidential. They should be trusted to handle this information in order to protect patient privacy.
2. Interpersonal skills. Secretaries and administrative assistants often interact with clients, customers, or staff. They should communicate effectively and be courteous when interacting with others to create a positive work environment and client experience.
3. Organizational skills. Secretaries and administrative assistants keep files, folders, and schedules in proper order so an office can run efficiently.
4. Writing skills. Secretaries and administrative assistants often write memos and emails when communicating with managers, employees, and customers. Therefore, they must have good grammar, ensure accuracy, and maintain a professional tone.
1. Office practice
2. Computer skills
Bachelor of Administrative and Secretarial Science (Kyambogo University).
Bachelor of Social Work and Social Administration (Kyambogo University).
Bachelor of Planning and Community Development (Mbarara University of Science and Technology).
Diploma in Secretarial and Information Management (Gulu University).
Bachelor of Office Management and Secretarial Studies (Nkumba University).
Bachelors of Multilingual Secretarial Studies and A dministration (Nkumba University).
Diploma in Office Management and Secretarial Studies (Nkumba University).
Diploma in Administration & Secretarial Studies (Ndejje University).
Bachelor of Secretarial and Administrative Studies (Weekend) (Islamic University in Uganda).
Bachelor of Business Administration in Secretarial Studies & Office Management (Bugema University).
Diploma in Secretarial Studies & Office Management (Bugema University).
Diploma in Secretarial Studies (Datamine Technical Business School).