Are you interested in shaping or protecting the future of your country? Do you want to effectively implement government policies? Then, the Government and Public Administration career field is for you. Let’s take a look.
Government and Public Administration involves the establishment of policies and monitoring of their proper implementation by the workers in this field. It includes the mechanisms required to balance the powers of the workers and their primary duty of enhancing the prosperity and viability of the country.
People working in this career field are called Public/civil servants. They execute governmental functions including governance, national security, Foreign Service, planning, revenue and taxation, regulation, and management and administration at the town, district and national levels.
The Civil Service College Uganda (CSCU) located in Jinja, was established in 2010 under the Ministry of Public Service with the mandate to build the capacities of Public Service Institutions and human resources for improved performance in public service delivery. The centre is responsible for;
- Induction training for newly recruited graduate public officers,
- In-service training for public servants,
- Strengthening public policy research,
- Providing advisory services and
- Supporting innovations for improved service delivery.
(Source: Civil Service College Uganda website)
This sector had limited jobs advertised in the New Vision newspapers. It has several jobs which have mass recruitments and are at times never advertised in the newspapers. This is the only sector where fresh graduate regardless of their experience can easily be recruited.
These are some of the careers in this sector:
- Town Clerks
- Urban & Regional Planners
- Local government officers
- Chief Administrative Officers
- District Education Officers, among others.
Here are some of the skills needed to thrive in this sector;
- Communication skills
- Emotional stability.
These are some of the fields of study that you can enroll for in this sector;
- Political Science
- Law Studies
- Human Resource Management
- Community Psychology
- Public Administration
- Community Based Rehabilitation
- Administrative and Secretarial Studies
- Development Studies
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Social Work.
COURSE ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS
- Direct Entry; the candidates should have a minimum of two (2) principle passes in all A ‘level subjects obtained at the same sitting or its equivalent in relevant subjects.
- Diploma entry scheme; the candidate should hold a relevant diploma in course.
- Mature age entry scheme; the candidate should have a pass in the mature age entry examinations with at least 50% and must be 25 years and above with a certificate or diploma in any course.
NOTE: Candidates who have obtained at least one (1) principle pass or its equivalent in relevant subjects can apply for diploma and certificate programmes. For certificate courses, candidates must have attained a minimum of 5 credits at O ‘level.
(SOURCES: The New Vision newspaper university guide, the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports, Career Guidance Handbook, the Civil Service College Uganda and the Uganda Bureau of Statistics)