Makerere University entered a partnership with The MasterCard Foundation to offer scholarships to 1,000 academically bright but economically disadvantaged youth from Africa to study at Makerere University from 2013 to 2023. This is a project worth US $ 20,989,965.15 implemented at Makerere University with the aim of developing the next generation of African Leaders and also to promote the strategic objectives of Makerere University and The MasterCard Foundation in contributing to Africa's higher education sector and development. The project is implemented under the leadership of the Makerere University Gender Mainstreaming Directorate.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars at Makerere University will have six cohorts of Scholars with the first cohort of 50 Scholars beginning 2014/2015 Academic Year. The Program offers comprehensive student support, that include;
- Tuition and Functional fees
- Accommodation, Feeding and stipend
- Laptop, books and other learning materials
- Transport to and from home
- Medical insurance
- Psychosocial support and mentoring of scholars
- Capacity building program for life skills development in ICT, Leadership, Gender, Human Rights, Communication, Entrepreneurship and Financial Literacy.
- Both female and male students who are qualified for first year undergraduate admission to Makerere University.
- Economically disadvantaged students from African Countries.
- Academic Excellence, with more points scored for students admitted for science disciplines
- A person with leadership experience or potential.
- Demonstrate Commitment to give back to the community.
- A person who is admitted on the basis of Uganda Certificate of Education results or its equivalent.
For more information please contact:
Gender Mainstreaming Directorate
P O Box 7062 Kampala
Tel: +256 414 540 184
+256 414 597 907