Deadline December 15th 2023
Malengo’s Uganda–-Germany Program prepares Ugandan Secondary School Graduates for admission to an English-speaking full Bachelor’s program at a German university and provides help with financing. We are specifically looking to support students who have limited means and could not otherwise afford to study at a university.
What does Malengo offer its selected scholars?
- Support to take the IELTS test, including tutoring and funding
- Guidance and funding to apply to up to three English-speaking bachelors degree programs in Germany from a list of eligible programs and universities
- Help in applying for and obtaining a student visa for Germany
- A pre-departure orientation seminar to prepare for life in Germany
- Assistance in finding accommodation for the first year living in Germany
- Financial support to cover the first-year living expenses, flight ticket, and related travel costs
- Guidance to find a part-time job to help pay for all costs after the first year
- A supportive mentor and other network staff to support scholars
- Connection to other scholars and wide network of support for social activities and friendship
Who can apply?
You are eligible for the program if you fulfill the following set of criteria:
- Basic Eligibility
- You have completed the UCE exam
- You have either already completed the UACE and have at least two principal passes; OR you plan to complete the UACE exam in 2023 and already have your mock UACE results
- Your UACE must be issued in one of the eligible districts, which are listed here. Your place of residence in Uganda does not matter; it matters only where your UACE was/will be obtained.
- You are 30 years of age or below as of December 31, 2023
- You have not yet completed a Bachelor’s program
- Academic Eligibility (based on requirements of German university)
- 2 subjects at the Principal Level of the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) with a grade of E or better, and
- 3 subjects in the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) with a grade of 6 or better, and
- These 5 subjects are general knowledge courses and independent from each other, including Math and English.
- Additional requirements
- You have a Ugandan passport; OR a Ugandan national ID; OR a letter from NIRA showing your NIN number; OR be a refugee living in Uganda and hold a valid refugee travel document. You do not need all documents at the time of application; ONE is sufficient.
- You read, write, and speak good English.
- You come from a background of limited means. We will check this during the application process. If you’re unsure if you qualify, we recommend applying regardless.
- You are motivated to work hard to succeed at a German university and integrate yourself into your community there.
The Application Process
Here is our application process, step by step:
- Step 1: Application Deadlines for the 2024 intake:
- If you completed your UACE before 2023: November 30, 2023
- If you expect to complete your UACE in 2023: December 15, 2023
- Step 2: Interview invitations.
If we rank your application highly, we will invite you to an in-person or phone/online interview.
- Step 3: Extended interviews.
Together with our research partners, we will conduct an additional series of interviews to get to know you and your family better. These interviews are for research purposes and not mandatory.
- Step 4: Decision announcement.
We will inform you whether your application was successful. We will also send you details of the income share agreement we are offering you. We will also let you know if you made the reserve list, or if we cannot offer you a spot.