Exceptional leaders and change-makers can come from anywhere. Financial constraints should not prevent the next great African disruptor from gaining the tools, skillsets and networks to bring their innovations to life.
The Female Leaders Scholarship has been created to empower exceptional, young women to realize their leadership potential and lead a life of impact despite financial limitations.
Scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of the applicant’s leadership potential, entrepreneurial drive, and demonstrated impact.
We are searching for 50 resilient, driven, innovative, creative, mission-driven young women who have demonstrated impact in their communities to join us on our Rwanda and Mauritius campuses as the inaugural Female Leader Scholars.
In line with the vision of ALU which is, to develop 3 million ethical and entrepreneurial leaders for Africa and the world by 2035, the scholarship will support the aspirations of fresh applicants for any of the undergraduate programmes at the African Leadership University.
1. Entrepreneurial Leader
● Not bound by the constraints of what exists today
● Takes initiative
● Visionary, bold—willing to take risks
● Innovative problem-solver
● Continuous learner
2. Demonstrated Impact
● Civic mindset
● Contributes to community
● Creates tangible solutions
● Personally humble
3. Overcome Adversity
● Confronts challenges with courage
● Does not give up when knocked down
● Resilient and persistent
● Sees possibilities and not only
1. Apply online to the African Leadership University.You must be conditionally or fully admitted to ALU Rwanda or ALC Mauritius to qualify for any scholarship.
2. Submit a 400-500 word essay in English. We will ask you to demonstrate how you have actively engaged in your community and meaningfully impacted the people around you.
3. Submit a creative piece in any format of your choosing. We will ask you to show, not tell us how you are extra! What makes you exceptional?
4. Submit two letters of recommendation. We will ask you to select two people (e.g. mentors, advocates, teachers, community leaders, etc.) who know you well and can speak to your leadership potential. These letters should be originals and in English.
1. Submission of your application to ALC Mauritius to be considered for Admission or Conditional Admission: 09 March, 2020
2. Submission of your application to ALU Rwanda to be considered for Admission or Conditional Admission: 20 April, 2020
3. Scholarship Application Deadline for ALC Mauritius: 03 April, 2020
4. Scholarship Application Deadline for ALU Rwanda: 15 May, 2020
NOTE: These milestones are subject to change depending on whether you are required to participate in one of our mandatory supplementary programs.